DEVELOPING STORYDEVELOPING STORY,
At least six dead after school in Dasht-e-Barchi, a Shiite Hazara neighborhood, was hit by two explosions, Kabul police spokesman says.
At least six people, including students, were killed and 11 others injured after two explosions at a boys’ school in the Dasht-e-Barchi neighborhood of the Afghan capital, a Kabul police spokesman said.
Khalid Zadran told the AFP news agency on Tuesday that two improvised explosive devices (IEDs) went off outside Abdul Rahim Shahid High School in western Kabul.
“These are preliminary figures. We are on site and waiting for more details,” she said.
Zadran said a third explosion had occurred at an English-speaking center several kilometers away but in the same area. He did not specify if it was caused by an explosive. There were no immediate reports of casualties from there.
He had previously tweeted that three explosions had rocked the school, which is in an area inhabited mainly by the Shiite Hazara community, an ethnic and religious minority frequently targeted by ISIL (ISIS) in the past.
Tuesday’s blasts occurred as students were leaving their morning classes at the school, which can hold up to 1,000 students, witnesses told AFP. It was not immediately clear how many children were in the school at the time of the blasts.
The blasts, which occurred in quick succession, are being investigated and more casualties are feared, according to the Zadran and Kabul Emergency Hospital. Several of the injured were in critical condition.
The head of a hospital’s nursing department, who declined to be named, told the Reuters news agency that at least four people were killed and 14 wounded in the blasts.
However, Al Jazeera has been unable to independently confirm casualty figures.
‘Blood spattered walls’
Guards on the narrow street leading to the two-story high school said they saw 10 victims. Inside the school, an Associated Press video journalist saw blood-spattered walls, burned notebooks and children’s shoes.
The AP spoke to several private guards in the area, but they refused to give their names for fear of repercussions from Taliban security forces cordoning off the area.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, which followed a lull in violence during the cold winter months and after foreign forces withdrew last year.
Afghanistan’s Taliban rulers say they have secured the country since taking power in August, but officials and international analysts say the risk of a rebellion remains.
A lot of attacks in recent months they have been claimed by ISIL.
In May of last year at least 85 people – mainly female students – were killed and around 300 injured when three bombs exploded near their school in Dasht-e-Barchi.